Pregnancy and weight gain can cause stretch marks. It is a common skin condition as nearly 80% of Americans have stretch marks. Despite the fact that it impacts the vast majority of people, it can cause insecurities and impact one’s self-confidence. You may wonder, does exercise make stretch marks go away? While rapid weight gain can cause stretch marks, the opposite isn’t true. Below you will find how to treat your stretch marks so you can feel confident in your skin.
Causes of Stretch Marks
Stretch marks are parallel lines on your skin that range from purple and pink to white and light gray. They can be found all over your body, from your thighs and upper arms to your abdomen and breasts. Stretch marks occur when your skin has stretched too far. This causes the important proteins in your skin to rupture. The important proteins are collagen and elastin, which are integral to the elasticity of your skin. They are vital proteins that are considered to be the building blocks of your skin. When they are ruptured, it results in stretch marks which can feel textured and sometimes feel itchy.
While anyone can develop stretch marks, there are a variety of factors that place you at a higher risk for them.
- Being a woman
- Having pale skin
- Being pregnant
- Having a family history of stretch marks
- Being overweight or obese
- Dramatic weight gain
- Using certain medications (such as corticosteroid medications)
Does Exercise Make Stretch Marks Go Away?
Regular exercise has a variety of benefits, but it cannot make your stretch marks go away. Stretch marks are essentially scars and exercise cannot repair scar tissue or repair the ruptured collagen and elastin. However, exercise can reduce inflammation and improve circulation, which can have a positive effect on your skin. By increasing your heart rate and improving your blood circulation, the increased oxygen and nutrient levels can help improve the look of your skin. It can promote collagen production, promote new skin cells, and help give you a natural glow. While exercise can increase collagen production, it cannot repair damaged collagen.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding are often the most common cause of stretch marks for women. The joy of being a new mother can be impacted by the societal pressure to bounce back. Despite a healthy diet and regular exercise post-pregnancy, there are likely a lot of changes that have occurred when it comes to your body. Some of these changes require cosmetic intervention. A mommy makeover in Beverly Hills is a great way to get yourself looking and feeling better as it addresses a variety of issues, including stretch marks.
What Is a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover in Beverly Hills can address one or more issues caused by pregnancy and breastfeeding. Areas such as your breasts, abdomen, arms, legs, face, and neck can all be impacted by pregnancy. The goal of a mommy makeover is to restore your body to its pre-pregnancy condition. Plastic surgery in Beverly Hills can help you achieve your desired look. Below are some of the common procedures that can improve your look and restore your confidence.
- Breasts: Breastfeeding can cause your breasts to lose volume and appear flatter. A breast augmentation can restore lost volume in your breasts. A breast lift can lift your breasts into a perkier position.
- Abdomen: Your abdomen may have loose skin, excess fat, and stretch marks after pregnancy. A tummy tuck and liposuction can help carve out your abdomen and flatten your stomach.
- Arms and Legs: Weight gain in your arms and legs can cause loose skin and stretch marks. An arm and thigh lift can give you a tighter and more toned look.
- Face and Neck: The loss of sleep, stress, and hormonal changes can impact the look of your face and neck. A face and neck lift can help tighten and restore your youthful look.